Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Supporting Teachers

Discuss one effective strategy that you have implemented for helping teachers develop lessons that promote:
  • deeper understandings of content
  • real world connections
  • authentic assessments
  • self-directed learning
  • critical thinking, problem solving
  • team building
  • 21st century information literacy
  • global communication and collaboration
  • technology skills

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Team building - Collaborative activity

In a nonfiction unit of study groups of students work together researching a country using the internet.

Principal Pitts said...

The strategy that I have implemented to support team building within our learning community was: weekly inter-visitations across grades and disciplines.

This practice has deepened our professional development conferences such that teachers eagerly share best practices and create wonderful inter-displinary lessons.

Anonymous said...

To promote deeper understanding of content I ask my teachers to require the students to use multiple traditional resources and web resources when conducting research on a an inquiry project.

Anonymous said...

When supporting teachers with technology, those who are more savvy, have been paired up with those who are not as savvy. Intervisitations have occurred so teachers may share their best technology practices.

Anonymous said...

We implemented a technolongy based, year long grade level interdisciplinary writing project that also provided opportunities for collaborative/ common planning.

Anonymous said...

Grade and dept meetings have revolved around building projects that encompass critical thinking ... technology and team building.

Anonymous said...

The teachers are provided with laptops for their use. We also have commn planning times to discuss best practices.

Anonymous said...

Scheduled time for teachers tommeet and plan lessons. Provided Technology PD for teachers.

Anonymous said...

I set aside funds from the budget that provides the teachers with professional development opportunities after school. I also purchase services from vendors that are able to provide my teachers with the info needed for them to be successful.

Anonymous said...

Critical thinking and problem solving: The strategy we use is the five "why" questions. This strategy focuses on pushing their thinking and learning.

Dr. Livanis said...

Unlike their previous principal, I communicate with teachers via email.

I have brought into the school a data management system that give teachers the ability to communicate with parents.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Livanis, please tell me more about that data management tool you wrote about.

Sadie Silver
ssilver11@schools.nyc.gov

I have tried various strategies for teachers such as Team building, study groups, email distribution list of articles etc. intervisitations and now I am learning to do the blogs and wikis. Well I hope I learn how to do a wiki today.

Anonymous said...

I have outfitted each classroom with a mini-lab and a smartboard. Most of this was in place late in the spring, so we have had a short orientation period. Individuals have adapted the technology to their individual comfort levels and have encouraged students to take the lead, in some instances. I plan to provide more opportunities for group, turnkey, and individual enrichment, based upon staff requests and curricular goals.

Anonymous said...

Teachers are provided with common prep time in order to plan and structure lessons. PD sessions are scheduled in the computer labs where novice computer users have the opportunity to explore with more advanced computer-savey teachers.

Aimee Horowitz said...

Teachers have been encouraged and have taken online courses in using technology such as in makin video documentaries. We also communicate with one another and with parents via email. We have an electronic grading system. Teachers post their grades on line and parents can access students' grades via a password. Parents also email teachers. Our Parent Coordinator send out a weekly email newletter to parents. Our school newspaper, parent newsletter, etc. are also put on our school website. This year we will also have professional development for all staff on the use of Smart Boards. Every teacher will have a webpage that they will post their assigments and projects on as well as resources for students to use. Although some teachers do this already, this year, all teachers will be part of this initiative.